Book Review | PERGI - TERE LIYE




Hi Peps! It's review timeee ^^

The first book which I want to review is Indonesian Novel "Pergi" by Tere Liye. Actually I have been sharing this through my Instagram @afwazakia because I love this platform to share something, moreover I am keeping it into my highlight. You guys can check them up :))

So, before we start my review about this book, first of all I wanna you to know about the author. I think it's kind of respecting the writer of his or her useful books to increase our knowledge.

Before that I would like to inform that in reviewing a book it will consist of :
1. About the writer
2. The first impression (cover and pages)
3. The overview or plot in the story (it's contain a spoiler, hehe)
4. The things that I like the most about the book
5. The things that I don't like about the book

So, here we go!


~Tere Liye is a novelist who has sucessfully writen some best seller novel in Indonesia, such as "Tentang Kamu", "Bintang", "Matahari", "Bidadari Surga" and etc. Some of them are already becoming film, like"Hafalan Sholat Delisa", and "Moga Bunda Disayang Allah". We can conclude from the title of the novels, Tere Liye is muslim. Based on Wikipedia, it says that Tere Liye was raised in the rural area of Sumatera. Here is the key, I have read novel "Pulang" and "Pergi" because these are sequel novel. I am amazed with the way Tere describes the surrounding of Bujang's (the main character) house. It is so detail and make the reader easy to use their imagination about the isolated place.


~My first impression to see the book "Pergi" was thinking hard, haha. Because in my opinion, the book should be "Pergi" first then "Pulang", because actually we go somewhere in order to go home, do not we? But then after reading the book I actually understand the purpose. For the cover, yap it is good because it shows like the city is the place you 'go' and the forest or village is something you called as home, that's why you are going back home. But like I told you, the first edition is "Pulang" then "Pergi". I have read both, but in this review I jump to the last book which is "Pergi", hehe. Oh, by the way, it is published at 2018 with 455 pages.



"Pergi" is and action and adventure. It tells the life journey of a young man named Agam and frequently called Bujang. Bujang is one of the leaders of several shadow economy families. he occupies the highest position of the Tong family, who was given the title of Great Tauke. He is the leader of the Tong family and has a personality and character that is different from the previous successor. The aim is to eliminate Master Dragon as the head of the family from the shadow economy that has disrupted the order of balance in the family shadow economy. This is the story of Bujang's struggle in dealing with Master Dragon's deception. We will be invited to the world behind the scenes of the world and the deception that are still taboo in society. Shadow economy is higher than the political arena between countries and governments. There is a group of people who are ruling the world but no one knows them. Its power is like a spider's web that stretches across various business fields of world trade, and is connected at one point, that's the shadow economy.

My favorite part are lot!! hehe. First of all, I like the way Tere describe about 'shadow economy'. He explains very well until the reader easy to get what he wants to tell. I believe that the actor of shadow economy is exist in this world, but we do not know how far they work until this novel comes with the super understandable words.

Second, the description of the places. Like I told you before, when Bujang in the rural area, even though I never been there, but I can feel the vibes. How the wild pig and other animal can appear just by Tere's explanations. These are his strongest point, making the reader feel the vibes while reading. Can you see the magic of words affect you? :P

I also like the way the writer framing Bujang, the main actor. He is absolutely having a great manner, in the story and I mean, it is like real. I feel like the author is trying to tell the reader that Bujang is the real character, so powerful. I can't imagine how great novelist create a person in the whole package from the appearance, character, habit, behavior, attitude and else.

In this novel, it is not just informing about shadow economy, there are a lot of values given. for example, the meaning of family, how to be loyal, the art of love, the power of friendship and etc.
After all I never get bored reading this novel!! So Happyyyy! :D

The best thing ever is Diego Samad (Bujang's father). The letter which portrayed the true love of
someone but they can not be together because of Samad has already given his heart to the girl in his hometown, in the village. I can see how handsome Samad when he was young hihi
Besides handsome, he was also portrayed as a bad boy or playboy but he was actually not. OMG!! Writing this, without knowing the real character of Samad, I am totally melting. I mean, hello? Without all of that I can imagine him as well :" I am in tears wkwkw I want to meet another Samad in real life :p


Favorite part will not complete without giving any quotes, will not it? So, here we go with the story of 2 farmers. There lived 2 farmers who meet with the intelligence. When the intelligence asks about whether they are happy or not, one said happy and one of them said that he has an ambition to have a better life. Finally the intelligence offers to both of the farmers to do something great that they want. After 40 years later, the intelligence come again and ask whether they are still happy or not. the one who has ambitions said that he still can do more than he has done. And the other said he is enough. He is blessed to have simple life and totally happy. He can't count every blessing that happen in his life event though he is just an ordinary farmer. Can you relate, guys? I want to know your opinion about ambition, you can write your though down below in the comment box :))


The think that I do not like from the novel is there is no feeling of curiosity. All of the things are just
going to be normal since the writer gives a clue in the end of section. So, we can't guess what happen next with our wild imagination, because we are putting in the safest zone by given the clues. For example is like this there will be a wedding, all people are worrying about boom attack from Master Dragon. The plot of the story is still on the way to the wedding, but the writer giving a clue with this words "..., namun semua berakhir sebaliknya". At the first place I think the wedding will run well and nothing happen because yaa why not? I mean main character commonly wins, doesn't he? But because of those sentence my wild imagination dissapear becuase it is the keyword that there will be boom attack in the wedding.

Finally, we have done reviewing a novel by Tere Liye "Pergi" :))
I hope this review will give an impact to you, even though just a little bit, and you will start reading a book you like, what ever genre is :)
Fyuhh hihi wow, I am amazed with myself because I can write this long. Hopefully you can enjoy it, Peps!
See you! ^^

ps  : I am writing this on Saturday night, wkwk
you know how I spend my night, don't you? hahaha

Komentar

  1. i love reading books review, and you bring this book review on to the next level. the details. you really good at writing it, so keep going!

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. aww thank you for those nice words :" you make me want to write more. Love so much! thank youuu

      Hapus
  2. wowww! i really love tere liye's books and ur review is really awesome❤

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. really? they are awesome, arent they? :D btw, what books have you read, Shashaa? maybe you can influence me to read that too hihi. thank you btw for reading this :D

      Hapus
  3. I've read those two novels and I love both. Looking forward to reading your review on "Pergi" novel.

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. They aree!! :D hihi, I'll :p thank you for the suggestion Tryvena :D love you!!

      Hapus
  4. WOOWW!! I love Tere Liye's books since I was in senior high school. The best one that I love is Daun Yang Jatuh Tidak Pernah Membenci Angin.
    Would you like to review this book, Afwaa? :)

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. THIS KIND OF COMMENT THAT I NEED :" thank you Puri for your suggestion and recommendation about your favorite book! it means a lot for me :) let me read and share it here :D

      Hapus
  5. Some of my friends recommend this book. Okay I'll read, thank you for the review afwa :)

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. I would not say you should, but YOU MUST! HAHA, you'll never forget this story btw :p tell me if you start reading. I am glad to hear it :D

      Hapus
  6. The review is so you! so detailed and completed with pictures, wkwk. I'm not really interested on reading this book, but I want you to tell me the COMPLETE story directly when we meet. :3

    BalasHapus
    Balasan
    1. hahaha, I will tell you the whole story :P but sorry we can not meet now because of Covid19 hahaha :p

      Hapus

Posting Komentar